Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Changing Paths: From Christian to Pagan

I was raised Christian, but during a very difficult time in my life, I questioned my rigid belief system and found that a different path was more appealing to me. During my study to learn more about other religions, I came across a book by Scott Cunningham titled Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. At the time, I didn’t even know what a solitary practitioner was! 

I have been a closet prayer warrior all my life. I participated in and even lead several prayer and worship groups, but most of my prayer work was alone and usually with candles, gestures, written prayers, meditation, and incense. I danced with flags, banners, and used other homemade tools to make dancing more fun and meaningful. Yes, I danced, sang, and moved in circles while making verbal petition. No wonder I felt like an outcast in churches that did not honor such activity! Little did I realize how similar this practice of moving of energy is to performing Pagan rituals.

I should have known my roots were more aligned with earth-centered worship when I gave birth to two children who were both born on sabbats or days of Wiccan celebration. My son was born on Mabon and my daughter was born almost four years later on Lughnasadh. My brother was born on Beltane. My son married his Wiccan wife on Samhain. I have always loved gardening--especially growing vegetables and herbs. My grandmother planted by the “signs” in the almanac and had a gift of seeing in the spirit realm. A gift she probably doesn’t realize she HAS much less that she passed it on to me. None of these were by accident, I’m sure. The Goddess was trying to get my attention.

After honoring the sabbats, full moon, and new moon cycles for several years now, I feel closer to my Creator than ever in my life. The Goddess is within me creating and birthing new ideas to be implemented with precision from my higher connection. The God is my conscious giving me clarity and intuitive guidance. My garden is a circle of life with clearly marked gates for the four directional corners. It is filled with flowers and herbs. There’s an altar in the middle where I offer herbs, flowers, wine, and bread as thank you gifts for assisting me in manifesting my desires.

I’ve learned to direct my prayers without usurping the will of another person--always aware that each of us makes choices to assist our soul with spiritual development. There’s more love and less judgement. I’ve seen miracles: healing, conception, spiritual awakening, and obvious changes as a result of my rituals. The rituals themselves are fun, but endowed with extremely powerful beings of light who deserve to be honored and respected.

Life is an ever-changing and growing experience filled with joy and freedom that I never experienced while chained to the dogma and doctrine of organized religion. I realize that Paganism is a legitimate religion, but for me an earth-based practice is a way of life that brings me ever closer to my true self with awareness and appreciation for the oneness I have with other people and all creatures.

1 comment:

Clea Danaan said...

Nice. :-)

)0(

Clea