Tuesday, October 17, 2006

As many of you know, my brother-in-law Dan Emge died suddenly last week when he fell from a ladder. I want to tell you about our visit to Maryland where celebrated Dan's life and visited with my husband's family. Dan was cremated so there was no physical body for anyone to ogle. Dan was an avid fisherman and loved to be near the water. It only seemed appropriate that his celebration was held at the beach house of some dear friends who live on the eastern shore. Each person who wanted to speak was given a turn to share a story about Dan. Jimmy Buffet music played and margaritas flowed as some cried, others laughed. I think I cried enough for everyone there; not because Dan was gone, but because of the love everyone was expressing so easily.

Dan really isn’t gone. His presence was sweet and strong all day. Many felt him near and told how he has appeared to them since his passing. Some members of the family called a dear friend of mine, Reverend Cherise Thorne who had offered to connect with Dan's spirit and give a message from the Other Side. (Cherise will be on my podcast next month http://www.newdawnascension.com/). Cherise's message was so comforting that the family was hardly showing any emotional disturbance. This was perplexing to me so I asked a few of them how they were able to be so strong. Their reply was consistent, "Because Dan is here. He is not gone!" I believe that. When a wreath of flowers was tossed into the water, it turned around and headed right back into the bay near the house. It stayed there all afternoon in spite of the wind blowing in every direction. This, to me, is an indication that Dan really wasn’t ready to leave us and that he’s planning to hang around for a while longer.

Samhain (some call it Halloween) is the time of year that we honor those who have gone before us. It is believed that the veil between the physical 3-D world and the spirit world is thinnest then. A lot of people report seeing or having visitations from their deceased loved ones in the fall season. In my book, More Than Meets the Eye, many people told me stories about seeing a bird or an animal come up and stare right at them. “Don’t you recognize me?” the little guy seems to ask. They just knew it was their loved one. And, why not? Small animals and birds have energies that are easy for newly passed spirits to manipulate.

The time we spent with my husband's family was beautiful and rich with memories. I didn’t know a lot of the people since I am rather a new-comer to the Perry family, but there was so much love shared I felt like I had been part of the family forever. After all, we are one. And, we are blessed!

No comments: